Commitments of the World Summit
for Social Development
- To create an economic, political, social, cultural and legal
environment that will enable people to achieve social development.
- To eradicate poverty in the world, through decisive national
actions and international cooperation, as an ethical, social,
political and economic imperative of humankind.
- To promote the goal of full employment as a basic priority of
our economic and social policies
- To promote social integration by fostering societies that are
stable, safe and just and that are based on the promotion and
protection of all human rights
- To promote full respect for human dignity and to achieving equality
and equity between women and men, and to recognizing and enhancing
the participation and leadership roles of women in political,
civil, economic, social and cultural life and in development.
- To promote and attain the goals of universal and equitable access
to quality education, the highest attainable standard of physical
and mental health, and the access of all to primary health care.
- To accelerate the economic, social and human resource development
of Africa and the least developed countries
- To ensure that when structural adjustment programmes are agreed
to they include social development goals, in particular eradicating
poverty, promoting full and productive employment, and enhancing
- To increase significantly and/or to utilize more efficiently
the resources allocated to social development
- To improve and strengthen the framework for international, regional
and subregional cooperation for social development